Tuesday, 18 April 2017

The Returning Tide by Liz Fenwick








Two sisters and one betrayal that will carry across generations . . .
In wartime Cornwall, 1943, a story between two sisters begins - the story of Adele and Amelia, and the heart-breaking betrayal that will divide them forever.
 Decades later, as the generations gather for a wedding at the rambling family home on the Cornish cliffs, the effects of one reckless act still echo - but how long will it be until their past returns?


Twins, Adele and Amelia,as alike a two peas in a pod and so close one knows the thoughts of the other.
When both join the wrens in 1943 it's no wonder that although they miss each other they also relish being separate people with their own identity instead of just being "the twins." 
Amelia is a driver in the Wrens  and Adele trains to be a telegraphist,their paths very rarely cross during the war years.
The story is told from 1943 /45 and 2015 and from Cornwall,England  to Cape Cod Massachusetts.
One wrong decision leads to betrayal and a lifetime of heartbreak. A heartbreak kept secret for years until the younger generation demand answers. A suitcase in the attic filled with unopened letters, a blurred wedding photo and a bridal veil. Only one person knows it's story and time is running out for her to tell it.
I love reading books set during the war and this has been one of the best I have read. I'm almost annoyed at having finished it as I was enjoying it so much. These young men and women were losing so many of their friends on a daily basis it was hard for them to take a chance and fall in love and then worry if their loved one would survive. The jobs they had to do were so vital to us winning the war so they had to put their worry and heartache to one side and just get on with it.
Although a love story Liz Fenwick didn't hide the true horrors of war especially one incident which Adele has to cope with which was heartbreaking and I later learned from Liz's notes that it came from a true story. Such was the secrecy at the time that she couldn't even discuss it with her co workers or her superiors. Men and women went to their graves never discussing events that they were involved in.
The powerful descriptions of war time London and beautiful scenery of  Cornwall made it easy for me to imagine what life was like for Amelia and Adele. 
The author kept me waiting until the last few pages before I knew what really happened during the war to the sisters. I had guessed what it was but not how it came about,needless to say it was cleverly done. Of course I shed tears, for Amelia,for Adele and others concerned who I have not mentioned as I don't want to spoil such a good read for you. 
This is the first novel I've read by Liz Fenwick. I love her writing style. Lots of research has gone into this book as the historical facts prove. I think she has captured the atmosphere of  wartime and weaved a story around it good enough for the reader to never want it to end.
This book is out in paperback or for kindle. The paperback is large and very thick so a good buy.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Returning-Tide-Liz-Fenwick-ebook/dp/B011ABX4Y6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491055020&sr=8-1&keywords=The+returning+tide

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really good read, Anne. I haven't read anything by Liz before, (though I'm sure I should have,)and who can resist Cornwall, wartime and secrets? Love this review, you've certainly won me over on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the sound of this. I love wartime books although I 'm not so good with really long ones...it sounds intriguing tho'

    ReplyDelete