Thursday, 9 February 2017

If Ever I Fall by S.D. Robertson




Dan’s life has fallen apart at the seams. He’s lost his house, his job is on the line, and now he’s going to lose his family too. All he’s ever wanted is to keep them together, but is everything beyond repair?
Maria is drowning in grief. She spends her days writing letters that will never be answered. Nights are spent trying to hold terrible memories at bay, to escape the pain that threatens to engulf her.
Jack wakes up confused and alone. He doesn’t know who he is, how he got there, or why he finds himself on a deserted clifftop, but will piecing together the past leave him a broken man?
In the face of real tragedy, can these three people find a way to reconcile their past with a new future? And is love enough to carry them through?



I was looking forward to reading this book after reading the blurb but I'm sorry to say it didn't live up to my expectations. 
Dan, Maria and their seven year old daughter Ruby are experiencing a bereavement which none of them are coping with. Maria has asked Dan for a trial separation and he has to leave the family home. 
This is very upsetting for Ruby as her family is falling apart. Maria is also coping with OCD which escalates when she is under stress. 
Later we meet Jake who has bumped his head and lost his memory. He is being looked after by a retired doctor, but is he all that he seems to be? And just who is Jake?
This book started well and I was enjoying it for quite a few chapters. I thought it jumped back and forward too much. We had, after the death, before the death, and all different befores  and afters in between. 
The story of Jake and the Dr, Miles was very gripping in parts and kept me turning the page. The rest of the story was told by Maria in letters that she writes to someone who will never read them. Maria is the reason that Dan is finding life so hard as she takes her grief out on him.
Some chapters seemed quite repetitive and then I reached the ending. That was when I became disappointed and I cannot tell you why. If I told you I would be giving away the whole storyline. I can tell you I felt quite annoyed with what transpired.
I haven't seen any reviews of this book yet as when writing this it has not been published. S.D Robertson's first book Time to Say Goodbye [which I haven't read ] has great reviews. 
This is only my opinion. It is billed as a tear jerker and you may love it.
I would love to know what you thought if you read it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/If-Ever-Fall-S-D-Robertson/0008100691/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485959789&sr=8-1&keywords=If+ever+I+fall


4 comments:

  1. It's great that you make it clear it's your opinion and that doesn't necessarily mean others will share it - the mark of a really fair and good reviewer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Val. It's harder to write a review when you have a few negative things to say. There are great reviews for this book but there are also people who have said similar things to me which made me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's also comforting! I recently read a book that I thought was awful. To me, the writing was clumsy, the characters flat and the story so clichéd as to be horribly predictable. Then I went to review it and found it had literally a hundred and something five star reviews....I didn't review it after that. It's so difficult to say something honest without being unkind. You do it very well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's another book not long out. I love the authors blog and the book has a big publisher with big money promoting it. I didn't like it at all,practically no story, I was so disappointed. I haven't reviewed it on my blog but again it has mixed reviews a lot were like me and didn't really get it. But it will do well mostly because of hype.

    ReplyDelete