Friday, 20 January 2017

Relativity by Antonia Hayes



His single mother, Claire is fiercely protective of her brilliant, vulnerable son. But she can't shield him for ever from learning the truth about what happened to him when he was a baby; why Mark had to leave all those years ago.
Twelve years later, Ethan is a singular young boy. Gifted with an innate affinity for physics and astronomy, Ethan sees the world in ways others simply can't - through a prism of light, time, stars and space.
A single handwritten letter is all it takes to set off a dramatic chain of events, pulling both parents back together again into Ethan's orbit. As the years seem to warp and bend, the past is both relived and revealed anew for each of them.





I'm delighted to be today's stop on the blog tour for Relativity. This book has been written beautifully and in some parts it is almost poetic. The chapters are named, Space,energy, magnetism , acceleration, etc which is a great idea. We are told the story from the alternating points of view of Claire, Mark and Ethan. I had no idea what had happened that made Mark leave his family and I beg you not to read the reviews on Amazon before you read this book. 
Ethan is gifted in Physics,there is nothing he doesn't know about the subject. I found all the facts he told his mum Claire very interesting so I learned something reading this book too. He is being bullied at school because he is so clever, but when he retaliates something happens and he is brought back once again to the doctor who treated him when he was a baby. That was when my heart broke and the tears started.

This story is so fragile,you feel that if the wrong word is said at the wrong time then someone will break. I wasn't prepared for the ending and cried again. 
Ethan and Claire are both very likeable as characters and I just loved Ethan's friend Alison. I liked Mark then I didn't like him and then I sort of understood him. I could feel the electricity in the atmosphere when he and Claire were together. If the story has a moral it is that it only takes a split second to make a bad decision and  life can change forever.
This is a brilliant debut novel and will definitely be in my top ten at the end of this year.


https://www.amazon.co.uk/Relativity-Antonia-Hayes-ebook/dp/B012DOIOTE/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1484330109&sr=1-1&keywords=Relativity




Antonia Hayes, who grew up in Sydney and spent her twenties in Paris, currently lives in London with her husband and son. Relativity is her first novel.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, another blog tour visitor. This seems to have really touched you, Anne! A lovely review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Val! Yes it was good. I have quite a few good ones lined up.

    ReplyDelete