Saturday, 7 January 2017

Books with Wine and Chocolate Virtual Book awards 2016




This year I have read over sixty books and posted reviews for fifty of them.
I like to have my yearly virtual book awards to remind people of the great books I read during the year.

MY OVERALL WINNER AS THE BOOK THAT CAME FIRST IN EVERY CATAGORY IS..
A BOY MADE OF BLOCKS BY KEITH STUART


Based on the true story of a father re-connecting with his autistic son through a computer game.
This book made me laugh,cry, wonder, google some things and stayed in my head for weeks after I read it. It's also one of my books that should most definitely be made into a film. I actually think it will.....watch this space...you heard it here first.

http://bookswithwineandchocolate.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/a-boy-made-of-blocks-by-keith-stuart.html


THE AWARDS FOR THE BOOKS THAT HAD ME IN TEARS GOES TO.....

THE SECRET OF ORCHARD COTTAGE BY ALEX BROWN
April's elderly aunt finds her sister's diaries and we are transported to her life during the Second World War. We meet our favourite people from the village of Tinnadale again.

http://bookswithwineandchocolate.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/the-secret-of-orchard-cottage-by-alex.html




THE SECRET BY KATHRYN HUGHES
A faded newspaper cutting holds a secret that Beth was never meant to discover. Ordinary people making the best of extrodinary circumstances.

http://bookswithwineandchocolate.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/the-secret-by-kathryn-hughes.html




THE AWARDS FOR THE BOOKS THAT MADE ME LAUGH GOES TO....

CARRYING ALBERT HOME BY HOMER HICKMAN
A husband and wife transport her pet alligator hundreds of miles across America back to it's home in Florida. Based on a true story but somewhat embellished this book is sure to make you laugh out loud.
A bit like Forest Gump. This would also make a great film.

http://bookswithwineandchocolate.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/carrying-albert-home-by-homer-hickman.html



THE BAD MOTHER'S HANDBOOK BY SUZY K QUINN

Juliette wants to be a perfect mum to baby Daisy, but she's not. Daisy will not stop crying and her father is useless. Many laughs in this book as we get to know Juliette's family and as she works her way through motherhood.

http://bookswithwineandchocolate.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/the-bad-mother-diary-by-suzy-k-quinn.html



THE AWARD FOR BEST MEMOIRS GOES TO ....

FROGS AND FRIGATE BIRDS BY JO CARROLL.
Jo's sixth travel memoir. This time she's travelling to Equador and the Galapagos. Reading Jo's book makes you feel as if you too have walked the same roads.

http://bookswithwineandchocolate.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/frogs-and-frigate-birds-over-hill-goes.html


WALLOON WAYS BY VALERIE POORE
This is the author's third book about life aboard a historic barge in Rotterdam only this time she's spending her weekends sailing through Belgium waterways. Valerie's great sense of humour as well as her mishaps are peppered throughout the book. If you haven't read memoirs before,give them a go and see what it's like to live a different life.

http://bookswithwineandchocolate.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/walloon-ways-by-valerie-poore.html



THE AWARD FOR THE BOOKS I COULD NOT PUT DOWN GOES TO 

THE SECRET WIFE BY GILL PAUL.
I love books by this author. A fiction book set in a historical background but always easy to read. 
I always learn something new from her books. 
A duel storyline one part set in Russia in 1914 and the other in America in 2016. The Russian Royal family are in great danger but the Grand Duchess Tatiana has fallen in love with Dmitri a cavalry officer, can he save her? In 2016 Kitty finds a buried priceless pendant in her great grandfather's remote cabin, who did it once belong to and how did it get there?

http://bookswithwineandchocolate.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/the-secret-wife-by-gill-paul.html


FORGOTTEN WOMAN BY FREDA LIGHTFOOT.
Another author I love. In 1986 while exhibiting a painting in an art gallery Jo is told the painting is not genuine and she sets to find answers. In 1936 two young woman from Scotland leave to join the International Brigade in Spain to assist in the civil war, they are soon joined by a Spanish girl fighting for her family's lives. Yes another historical fiction book, I'm seeing a pattern here. Honestly this book was great and contained one of the best opening chapters I have ever read, it had me in tears.

http://bookswithwineandchocolate.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/forgotten-women-by-freda-lightfoot.html



THE AWARD FOR THE BOOK I WOULD MOST LIKE TO SEE MADE INTO A FILM GOES TO..
A YEAR AND A DAY BY ISABELLE BROOM.
The beautiful cover of this book draws you into it. Set in the beautiful city of Prague three woman who have never met before each have their own reason for visiting the country. Their lives collide and for each one of them important decisions have to be made. There's a few surprises in this story and that and the city of Prague is why I think it should be made into a film.

http://bookswithwineandchocolate.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/a-year-and-day-by-isabelle-broom.html


There you have it,my ten best books of the year. It has been so difficult to choose just ten as I've read so many good books. I have been dissapointed by a few I must admit but there are always some thorns amongst the roses.
This year of course I will still be reviewing ( I won a prize of about 50 books) I have a few crime books which is not usually my genre and some autobiographies which I love reading and have not read enough of lately. I wish you all a Happy New Year and thank you all for reading my blog. 
I also want to thank Harper Collins, Avon Books, Penquin, Headline, Net Galley, Bookbridgr and all the authors  who have sent me books and trusted me to read them and write fairly about them. Thank you all. HAPPY READING!


8 comments:

  1. Anne, I am thrilled to be on your list alongside Jo Carroll, who is probably my favourite travel writer of all. Thank you so much! As for the other books, I want to buy a number of them! I've loved reading your reviews throughout the year and will continue you to do so as long as you keep writing them! I'm already looking forward to your reviews about crime fiction, though, as it's one of my favourite genres!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val! Maybe I'll get to like crime fiction too.

      Delete
  2. PS I've just bought Taking Albert Home and A Boy Made of Blocks....now see what you've done! :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be on commission! Lol! I do it for love!

      Delete
  3. Many, many thanks, Anne - and what a privilege to be in such company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for being included in your best list. Best wishes, Freda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I loved it. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete