Monday, 26 September 2016

The Day I Lost You by Fionnuala Kearney



THE DAY I LOST YOU WAS THE DAY I DISCOVERED I NEVER REALLY KNEW YOU
When Jess’s daughter, Anna, is reported lost in an avalanche, everything changes.
Jess’s first instinct is to protect Rose, Anna’s five-year-old daughter. But then she starts to uncover Anna’s other life - unearthing a secret that alters their whole world irrevocably . . .
THE DAY I LOST YOU WAS THE DAY YOU TORE OUR FAMILY APART


I'm delighted to be today's stop on the blog tour for The Day I lost you. The author Fionnula Kearney has very kindly written a piece about being a writer for me to share with you all, but first I'll tell you what I thought of the book.

My emotions have been put through the wringer reading this book. It is a very moving story of  family,of secrets and unconditional love. Jess's daughter Anna is reported missing after being caught in an avalanche while skiing . Several members of her party have already been found dead.
Jess is divorced from her husband Doug who is now re-married with a new family. He is very supportive of Jess as they wait for news of their missing daughter.
 Anna and her five year old daughter Rose lived with Jess and Rose is the only thing that is keeping Jess from crumbling. As time passes Jess discovers that Anna was not the person she thought she was. Anna had secrets and when her online blog is found those secrets begin to unravel.

Theo is Jess's best friend and work collegue. He has to adjust to life as a single father when his wife Harriot leaves him for another man.
The trust between Jess and Theo is blown apart by revelations and Jess is finding it difficult to know who to trust.
I found this to be a real page turner. It was heartbreaking following Jess through her stages of grief. As each secret was revealed Jess wondered if she really knew her daughter and with each secret her grief intensified. This is a story of betrayal and asks the question, "Is unconditional love really unconditional?"
  What would it take for you to say, "I don't forgive you"
The story had a good ending and said a lot about the strength of a loving family and what they can achieve together.
I haven't read the author's first book You,Me & Other People but after reading this one I think I have to.
Out now in paperback or kindle download here

And here it is. Written by Fionnuala Kearney. A glimpse into the life of a writer.

                                                       The Why and How.
         
I’m often asked what my working day actually looks like; how full time a writer’s lot is and how do I actually write a novel? I think most people realise why I do it – it is apparently one of the most popular ‘jobs’ out there; the role of an author being the one that came highest in a recent poll taken of ‘dream jobs.’
It is. It’s a dream job and one I tried to succeed in for many years before securing an agent and a three book deal with HarperCollins. The ‘how’ I got here was a seven year ‘apprenticeship’ writing and learning - before the fourth novel I wrote during that time was the one which seemed to hit the spot and ended out being my published debut ‘You, Me & Other People’.
And the how I write a novel? Well, although I’m lucky enough to have the shortest commute possible (across the landing) and my uniform varies between pyjamas and loose sweat-clothes – I still try to treat my writing day as a full day’s work. Mornings are spent on the work-in-progress novel, which can mean the early writing of the first draft or subsequent edits and revisions. I spend a couple of hours a day on emails and social media stuff and then again a few hours later in the day on the WIP again. It took just over a year to write my second novel ‘The Day I Lost You’ and by the end of that time, I could almost recite pages of the narrative!
When starting to write a new book, I usually begin with several characters I know will appear in the story and they just start gassing away in my ear! When I’ve figured out who they are, I have to try and establish why they’re there and what story they’re trying to tell. I work out a plot (the skeletal bones) and first draft is always about putting meat on them. I use a visual planner in the form of an enormous white board that hangs on my office wall to help me picture the journey. Within a few months I have the first draft of the story and to be honest – that’s only the beginning!
With my own personal creative process, I really need to write another draft before the story I want to tell; the story these characters want to lead me to, becomes as clear as it needs to be. Alas, despite my use of the word ‘plot’ here, this process actually makes me a classic ‘pantser’! I probably make my life really difficult by not having the whole thing mapped out totally in advance first – chapter by chapter - but for me, I love the freedom of writing a looser first draft. The final book is usually about revision six so it’s a constantly evolving thing.
Having had a previous career in property, I sometimes pinch myself, wonder if I really am a novelist/author/writer (title depends on the day I’m asked) now. It still seems a little surreal that I am actually doing that job that I dreamt of doing when I talked to my boyfriend back in 1980. ‘I want to write books,’ I told him. I subsequently married the man and had two children and life was such that the dream had to wait a bit but the thing is – it did come true. I think if you want something bad enough, with hard work, perseverance, the hide of a rhino and a little lucky fairy dust, you can dream it into being.
And I’m with that poll result: Easy, it’s not, but it truly is the best job in the world…


Thank you Fionnuala it really does sound like the perfect job.








No comments:

Post a Comment