Thursday, 8 September 2016

No Turning Back by Tracy Buchanan




When radio presenter Anna Graves and her baby are attacked on the beach by a crazed teenager, Anna reacts instinctively to protect her daughter.
But her life falls apart when the schoolboy dies from his injuries. The police believe Anna’s story, until the autopsy results reveal something more sinister.
A frenzied media attack sends Anna into a spiral of self-doubt. Her precarious mental state is further threatened when she receives a chilling message from someone claiming to be the ‘Ophelia Killer’, responsible for a series of murders twenty years ago.
Is Anna as innocent as she claims? And is murder forgivable, if committed to save your child’s life…?



The prologue of this book will send chills through you. I actually read it and then had to put it down for a while until I felt brave enough to continue. There is a duel storyline here. In one we hear about Anna returning back to her job as a popular radio presenter just as her daughter is turning one year old. Anna is estranged from her husband but they are coping with the situation. The unforseen happens and a boy dies accidentally as a result of Anna trying to protect her baby from his knife.
The other storyline is more sinister. We hear the voices of two people talking about poisoning and killing young boys. We assume this to be the voice of the 'Ophelia Killer' and an accomplice.

My nerves were in shreds by the time I reached the end of this book. At first everyone sympathises with Anna but the tide soon turns and even her life and that of her child could be in danger.
She has the support of her grandmother who she is closest too as her mother is hard to cope with and has been very distant having never recovered from the tradedy which befell her husband.
  I thought I had guessed who the killer was twice but I was wrong. Everyone is a suspect except perhaps the one who did it.
I enjoyed this book but I have to say I found the ending slightly unrealistic but it's a fiction story so I let my imagination take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment