Monday, 29 August 2016

The Secret Wife by Gill Paul



1914
Russia is on the brink of collapse, and the Romanov family faces a terrifyingly uncertain future. Grand Duchess Tatiana has fallen in love with cavalry officer Dmitri, but events take a catastrophic turn, placing their romance – and their lives – in danger . . .
2016
Kitty Fisher escapes to her great-grandfather’s remote cabin in America, after a devastating revelation makes her flee London. There, on the shores of Lake Akanabee, she discovers the spectacular jewelled pendant that will lead her to a long-buried family secret . . .
Haunting, moving and beautifully written, The Secret Wife effortlessly crosses centuries, as past merges with present in an unforgettable story of love, loss and resilience.




 I enjoyed Gill Paul's last book,No Place For a Lady and was looking forward to this one. I have to say she didn't disappoint me.
Kitty who lives in London has been left her great grandfather's cabin in Lake Akanabee,America after a lot of searching by lawyers to find his heir. Kitty has never heard her mother speak of her great grandfather so he is a mystery to her. As she finds her husband has been cheating on her Kitty decides to book a flight and see the cabin for herself.
We then read about her great grandfather Dimitri,a Russian calvary officer in the royal army. He is injured and nursed by one of Tsar Nicholas and Alexandra's daughters Tatiana. They fall in love but the revolution takes over and shapes the rest of both of their lives.
Kitty,being a journalist tries to put together all the clues she finds of Dimitri's life story but she is not prepared for what she will discover.
I have no proper words to tell you how much I loved this book, it was so hard to put down. I have always been interested in Nicholas and Alexandra and what happened to their family ever since I saw the film of their lives when I was a young girl.
When I started reading I thought I knew what the ending would be but Gill Paul takes things to another dimension when as every good writer does she asks herself the question,"What if?" and what followed is this brilliant story and not the ending I thought it would be.
Many people do not like reading historical books but Gill Paul has the ability to mix the old with the new and make a great story.
Although this is a work of fiction all the historical facts are true and there are many I didn't know.
I was taken on such a journey with this read and I cried, of course I cried. I asked myself at the end, "Is this really fiction, maybe it could be true?"
Amazon for kindle or paperback.    If you love a good story this is the best 99p for a kindle book you will ever spend.

No comments:

Post a Comment