Saturday, 6 August 2016

Milkshakes and Heartbreaks at the Starlight Diner by Helen Cox.


Esther Knight is sharp, sarcastic – and hiding something. She waitresses at The Starlight Diner: a retro eatery where Fifties tunes stream out of the jukebox long into the night, and the tastiest milkshakes in New York are served.
Nobody at the diner knows why Esther left London for America – or why she repeatedly resists the charms of their newest regular, actor Jack Faber.
Esther is desperate to start a new life in the land of the free, but despite the warm welcome from the close-knit diner crowd, something from her past is holding her back. Can she ever learn to love and live again?


Esther has a secret, something she is ashamed of which is why she fled from London to America. She loves her job in the Starlight Diner and is working with a nice friendly bunch of people but she can't help wondering if they would still be so friendly if they knew what she did.
Jack becomes a regular to the diner and he too has secrets. Esther doesn't mean to but she falls in love with Jack and he with her but will it last? Not if journalist Boyd has anything to to with it.
This was a good read. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the American diner and the descriptions made me feel I was sat there listening to what was going on. The supporting cast of Mona, Angela, Bernie and Esther's mother carry the story along. 
Half way through the book things really started to heat up for Esther and Jack and it made me fear that their lives could be in danger. I wanted everything to work out for them as I felt Esther really did deserve a happy ending. I'm not giving away any spoilers but I'm going to assume there will be a sequel to this book and I hope it's sometime soon as the ending had me on the edge of my seat wanting more.

 Only 99p for kindle download.

In fact I can tell you now that there is a sequel which is due out in December It's called Secrets and Fries at the starlight Diner and can be pre ordered  here

2 comments:

  1. A great review, Anne! I've always liked the American Diner scenario and think I'd enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete