Friday, 26 August 2016

Cartes Postales From Greece by Victoria Hislop


Week after week, the postcards arrive, addressed to a name Ellie does not know, with no return address, each signed with an initial: A.
With their bright skies, blue seas and alluring images of Greece, these cartes postales brighten her life. After six months, to her disappointment, they cease. But the montage she has created on the wall of her flat has cast a spell. She must see this country for herself.
On the morning Ellie leaves for Athens, a notebook arrives. Its pages tell the story of a man's odyssey through Greece. Moving, surprising and sometimes dark, A's tale unfolds with the discovery not only of a culture but also of a desire to live life to the full once more.



Victoria Hislop is one of my favourite writers. I devour her books. I was really looking forward to this book I requested from Net Galley for review. When I finished it I thought it was very short and I had missed half the story. Well that's what I get for not reading that I was downloading part of the book only. I'm not the only one who made that mistake, another reviewer was sent a book in the post and it was only part of the book too. (A bit mean)
So I'll review the small part I read.
We are following a few stories in this book. Ellie is receiving postcards from Greece,not addressed to her but to the previous occupant of her apartment. She decides to go to Greece and find these places for herself. Before she leaves she receives a notebook which she takes with her. The notebook is full of stories told o its author by the people he met in Greece.
We also are told the story of the author of the postcards and notebook as he journeys through Greece.
I did enjoy the part of the book I read and it left me wanting more. (I suppose that was the idea).
I feel this book is different from the other books written by Victoria in that it contains lots of short stories. I was more interested in Ellie and A (the author of the postcards) than the short stories but I'm sure it will all come together in the rest of the book.

Cartes Postales From Greece will be released on 21st September.
Amazon for kindle or paperback 

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear, Anne! What a pity! Well, at least you were suitably intrigued to want to read more. I haven't read any of Victoria Hislop' s books, but keep thinking I must...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so desperate to read this book when it's released Anne!!

    ReplyDelete