Wednesday, 20 July 2016

I Found You by Lisa Jewell



'How long have you been sitting out here?'

'I got here yesterday.'

'Where did you come from?'

'I have no idea.'

East Yorkshire: Single mum Alice Lake finds a man on the beach outside her house. He has no name, no jacket, no idea what he is doing there. Against her better judgement she invites him in to her home.

Surrey: Twenty-one-year-old Lily Monrose has only been married for three weeks. When her new husband fails to come home from work one night she is left stranded in a new country where she knows no one. Then the police tell her that her husband never existed.




Alice has a busy life with multiple children and a dog she finds life a struggle. She has spent the morning watching a man sitting on the beach in the cold and rain without a coat. She offers him an old jacket a previous boyfriend left behind but when she realises he has doesn't know where he is or who he is she invites him into her house for tea and a rest. Is Alice being silly? Are her children in danger from a stranger?
The man is christened Frank by Alice's young daughter and he is asked to stay overnight in a shed in the garden which Alice has converted into a bedroom. There begins the search for Frank to find out who he is and why he was sitting on the beach.
We then meet Lily who has moved to the UK from Kiev following her marriage to Carl only two weeks ago. A whirlwind romance and a new life in a foreign country would be hard for anyone but when Carl doesn't return from work as usual what is Lily to do? Who really is Carl and did Lily every really know him?
Twenty years earlier, a summer holiday for two teenagers and their parents and a tragedy.

These three stories are sewn seamlessly together by the author. I was on the edge of my seat during most of the book. I thought Alice was taking a chance allowing a stranger to stay not knowing who or what he was but that was the kind of kind and loving person Alice is.
I really liked her and wanted a happy ending for her family. I began to trust Frank as did Alice but what would happen when his memory returned.
I felt so sorry for Lily in a strange country hunting for her husband and having to deal with all that entails.
I can't say much more about this story as I would spoil it for you. Sufficient to say that it is written by Lisa Jewel who is just amazing...another winner. A real thriller.


You can find I Found You here on Amazon. I think the kindle copy is a bit pricey but I'm sure it will be on sale everywhere.

2 comments: