Wednesday, 1 June 2016

The Postcard by Fern Britton



Secrets. Sisters. The summer that changed everything . . .

Life in the Cornish village of Pendruggan isn’t always picture perfect. Penny Leighton has never told anyone why she’s estranged from her mother and sister. For years she’s kept her family secrets locked away in her heart, but they’ve been quietly eating away at her. When an unwelcome visitor blows in, Penny is brought face to face with the past. And a postcard, tucked away in a long-hidden case, holds the truth that could change everything.

Young Ella has come back to the place where she spent a happy childhood with her grandmother. Now she’s here to search for everything missing in her life. Taken under Penny’s broken wing for the summer, the safe haven of Pendruggan feels like the place for a fresh start. Soon, however, Ella starts to wonder if perhaps her real legacy doesn’t lie in the past at all.





I'm delighted to be part of the blog tour for Fern's latest book. This is the first book of hers I've read.
 I know! Where have I been? So many books so little time.
Anyway I'm glad I was asked to review this book. What is it about Cornwall? Everyone seems to re-locate there and start writing novels.

This book is certainly set in Cornwall in a quaint little village called Pendruggan where Penny is the vicar's wife and has a nearly one year old baby girl.
I found Penny to be a bit strange and hard to like at first. She has her own TV company and has finished producing a series which was filmed in the village where she now lives and where she met her husband.
Penny was well loved by her father as a child but her mother was very cold towards her. There are many secrets connected to her family some even she does not know yet and she finds it so difficult to confide in anyone even her husband.
Penny has made a new life for herself away from her mother and sister but as her sister suddenly
 re- appears in her life again can either of them forgive each other? 

There are a host of characters in this book all with their own problems and stories to tell. 
Ella who is mentioned in the book blurb returns to the village where she spent her childhood with her gran. I did keep wondering if there was more to her story than the author has told us but I suspect there will be a sequel to this book, it really needs a sequel..
I always knew something explosive was going to happen but Fern leaves it until the last few pages and then I thought the book finished too soon hence the need for a sequel.
This was a good read and the descriptions of a close knit village where everyone knows each others business.

PS. After writing this review I looked online at Fern's other books and I found that the characters in this book are mentioned in her others. Although this is a stand alone read, if you enjoy it then you might want to check her others out too. I found one which tells the story of how Penny and her husband the vicar met. It all makes sense now and  I know for certain (I think) that there will be a story about Ella and what happens next and I am looking forward to reading it.
Thank you to the publisher for providing a copy of this book in return for an honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment