Saturday, 2 April 2016

Dear Dad by Giselle Green




Handsome, 28-year old, Nate Hardman is a frontline reporter with a big problem. Suffering from shell-shock and unable to leave his house, he’s already lost his social life and his girlfriend. Now his career prospects are sinking fast.

9 year-old Adam Boxley who lives alone with his ageing nan, also has big problems. Neglected at home and bullied at school, he’s desperate to reach out to his dad – and that’s when he sends his first letter to Nate. Only Nate’s not who he thinks he is. Will he help? More importantly – can he?

Across town meanwhile, caring but impulsive teacher Jenna Tierney really wants to help Adam - except the feisty redhead has already had enough of teaching. Recently hurt by yet another cheating boyfriend, Jenna’s now set her sights on pursuing a dream career abroad ... only she’s about to meet Nate - her dream man who’ll make her re-think everything.

The big question is; can three people desperate to find love, ever find happiness when they’re only connected by one big lie?




Just published this is a lovely book by Giselle Green.
 A story of Nat, a man who is no good at his job as a front line reporter as he's suffering from Post Traumatic Stress resulting in agoraphobia.
A story of Jenna, a woman unlucky in love, who has put her all into a relationship with an Italian man and surrounds herself with his large family only to be cheated on and forced to start a new life back in the UK.
It is also the story of Adam, a boy of nine, bullied at school, trying to take care of himself and his nan who has dementia. A boy who desperately needs and wants a father...he chooses Nat.

Oh goodness, this story really got to me. No one listens to Adam at school when he tells them he's being bullied and the reason is, he has no one to stick up for him. He is classed as a neglected child but no one seems to care until Jenna reluctantly takes a temporary job in the school and becomes his teacher.
Nat receives a letter from Adam telling him he knows Nat is his dad and he needs his help.
 I worried about Nat as he tells lies to help the boy and becomes deeper involved with him.
Nat has to overcome his agoraphobia and panic attacks to help Adam and it pushes him so far out of his comfort zone. When we hear about Nat's past we understand why helping Adam means everything to him.
I never quite knew how this book would end and although I wanted to finish it I also didn't want to finish it.
I loved the characters in the story. I knew Nat was a good man. Jenna needed a good man and as for Adam,I wanted to take him home and look after him, even the horrible headmaster redeemed himself in my eyes.
You can always expect a good story when you pick up a book written by Giselle Green and in these times when the world is falling apart it's nice to read a book  that makes you smile a smile of satisfaction at the end.

Dear Dad is out at the moment for kindle I'm sure the paperback will follow.
Amazon,Dear Dad






6 comments:

  1. THanks for your very appreciative review Anne - love that you think it's my best yet! And I loved Adam too. Everyone wants to take him home it seems :) Giselle xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I think I want to read this! It sounds like something I would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vallypee - I hope you do! Giselle x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good Anne. I haven't read anything by this author so I may just give this a go!

    ReplyDelete