Saturday, 5 March 2016

The Glittering Art of Falling Apart by Ilana Fox






1980s Soho is electric. For Eliza, the heady pull of its nightclubs and free-spirited people leads her into the life she has craved - all glamour, late nights and excitement. But it comes at a heavy cost.
Cassie is fascinated by her family's history and the abandoned Beaufont Hall. Why won't her mother talk about it? Offered the chance to restore Beaufont to its former glory, Cassie jumps at the opportunity to learn more about her past.
Separated by a generation, but linked by a forgotten diary, these two women have more in common than they know . . .




This story takes place in the present day with Cassie and the 1980's with Eliza. We hear Eliza's story through her diaries which are found and read by Cassie.
Beaufont Hall has come into Cassie's mother's possession since a cousin who had been living in it died. Cassie has always been fascinated by the hall and why her mother never wants to talk about it.
Beaufont Hall is in a state of disrepair and has to be sold but Cassie wants to see the house and say goodbye to it. She volunteers to clear it out and this is when she finds the Diaries.
In 1978 Eliza is bored with her life and when her friend suggests a trip to Soho she jumps at the chance. Lured by the bright lights and being able to do as she likes and not as her parents tell her Eliza moves to Soho to live in a squat. The streets are not paved with gold and Eliza's time there has many up and downs and is tempted in many different directions.
I loved this story and I do not want to tell you too much about it. I found myself being mad at Eliza's parents, they should have dragged their daughter kicking and screaming away from Soho and sorted her life out. Eliza's story is heartbreaking and I wanted someone to talk some sense to her.

Cassie's story is engaging too as she puts her energy into saving Beaufont Hall but little does she know what skeletons she's about to shake in the closet.
I found this to be a page turner. When I read about Cassie I wanted to hear about Eliza and vice versa.
This is the first book I've read by this author and I love finding new authors to add to my "go to " list.

 Here is a link to Kindle at Amazon but it's cheaper from The Book Depository at £3.85 with free delivery worldwide.
Amazon uk
The Boook Depository.

2 comments:

  1. I think I might enjoy this too, Anne! Thanks for another great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, definitely going to read this book!

    ReplyDelete