Wednesday, 23 December 2015

Follow Me by Angela Clarke







The ‘Hashtag Murderer’ posts chilling cryptic clues online, pointing to their next target. Taunting the police. Enthralling the press. Capturing the public’s imagination.
But this is no virtual threat.
As the number of his followers rises, so does the body count.
Eight years ago two young girls did something unforgivable. Now ambitious police officer Nasreen and investigative journalist Freddie are thrown together again in a desperate struggle to catch this cunning, fame-crazed killer. But can they stay one step ahead of him? And can they escape their own past?
Time's running out. Everyone is following the #Murderer. But what if he is following you?
ONLINE, NO ONE CAN HEAR






Freddie is struggling as a journalist. She has written article for an online newspaper but as yet nothing in print. The editor has told her she needs to find a big story, put herself out there and write about it,then it will be in print.

Freddie is working part time in a cafe to make ends meet and even at that ends are not meeting.
 One night she sees an old schoolfriend Nas who she had a falling out with years ago. She follows her and finds out she is a policewoman on her way to the scene of a murder. Freddie becomes involved as she puts on white overalls and pretends to be part of the investigation team. She has her story.


I will start with saying that I enjoyed this book and found it to be a page turner. There was quite a hype on Twitter about this book before it was published and I thought it might keep me awake at night but I'm glad to say it didn't.

The writer asks us to believe that Joe Bloggs or Freddie in this story can just walk off the street and into a crime scene just because she has white overalls on and that her ex friend Nas would cover for her even although she is ambitious and trying to make sergeant.
We also have to believe that no one on the police payroll can understand the workings of Twitter and social media and the inspector allows Freddie to instruct the murder investigation team on what the murderer is up to on Twitter. 
Freddie and Nas have a big secret from their schooldays which is why they stopped being friends. 
I liked Nas better as a character. She is focused in her job and wants to get on in life. 
Freddie is a mess and annoying with it. Her language is awful and I don't think it adds anything to the story at all. I felt it hard to empathize with her although I tried.

The kindle download is 99p and its worth a read especially if you know the workings of Twitter and social media.



2 comments:

  1. I've never read a thriller where the internet is the basis of the book. I'd be tempted although the language might be an issue for me. I don't like a lot of bad language in a book - I'd give it a try though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually read crime. I'm a bit scared it keeps me awake but this was okay.

      Delete