Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Cross Stitch by Amanda James






A stitch in time may save nine but a cross-stitch spells disaster …
It should be the happiest day of her life. Despite past heartache, Sarah Yates is finally marrying her true love, John Needler.
But Sarah and John can’t pretend they’re an ordinary couple. They’re time travellers and where time travel is involved, nothing runs smoothly. One minute Sarah is saying her vows and the next she is hurtled back in time to a country that is on the cusp of war, and into the company of the bad-tempered Veronica Ratchet.
Newly-wedded bliss is certainly not on the cards for Sarah as events see her travelling from the British punk era to 1950’s America. And even when she returns home she can’t escape Veronica.
But when the past and the present collide, that’s when the real problems start …





When I managed to take my eyes away from the stunning cover, starting this book was like putting on a comfy pair of slippers. This is the sequel to Amanda Jame's book  A Stitch in Time and I had no trouble getting right back into the story again.
It's John and Sarah's wedding day but as they're both time travellers who are regularly sent back in time to fix something that's about to go wrong you just know that the wedding is not going to go smoothly.
Usually Sarah knows where and when she will be travelling but in this book everything is different and Sarah is whisked away without even John knowing about it. There is a reason for this but I don't want to spoil the surprise. 
In Cross Stitch we see more into Sarah and John's private lives and those of their families. The introduction of Veronica added to the story as she was both frustrating and comedic.
I enjoyed this book so much I didn't want it to end. I wanted to see Sarah in many other time travelling places but during this book I was also a bit worried about her, again for reasons I cannot divulge.
Any fans of Quantum Leap or Time Travellers wife will enjoy these books but Amanda James has her own unique take on time travel that has never been done before. So much research must need to be done for each time period Sarah enters and the author seems to capture the era and make you feel you're part of it.

This could be read on its own but I would recommend you read the first one which I reviewed here
I'm not one for reading books about time travel as I find them too complicated but this is Chick Lit time travel and easy for anyone to read.
I think we will be reading more in this series as it's a story which could be expanded into a few more books.
Amanda is a very diverse writer and having read all her books I can say you never quite know what subject she's going to write about next, she always surprises.

Amanda Jame's Time Traveller book 1 / A stitch in time is on Kindle here for £2.99
 Book 2 Cross Stitch is on Kindle  here for 99p
With both books being less than coffee and a cake think of all those calorie you'd save!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh I see you have a new layout completely, Anne! I couldn't figure it out at first, but this is great and much faster. Sounds like a good read here, but yes, first things first and the first comes first :) I'll catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete