Wednesday, 28 January 2015

A Place for Us by Harriet Evans


 The house has soft, purple wisteria twining around the door. You step inside.


The hall is cool after the hot summer's day. The welcome is kind, and always warm.



Yet something makes you suspect life here can't be as perfect as it seems.


After all, the brightest smile can hide the darkest secret.



But wouldn't you pay any price to have a glorious place like this?



Welcome to Winterfold.


Martha Winter's family is finally coming home.







I took a while to get into this story as each chapter is about a different member of the family and I had to keep going back to remind myself who was who.
Martha and David have three grown up children, Bill, Daisy, and Florence. They have also brought up Cat who is Daisy's daughter,their other grandchild is Lucy, Bill's daughter.
Bill is the only one of their family they see regularly as he is the local GP. Florence lives in Italy and Daisy is in Africa, they haven't seen her for years.
Martha and David seem quite sweet and it makes you wonder how they could have given birth to such dysfunctional people. Daisy is a horror all during her childhood bullying poor Florence in such ways that any other mother would have dragged Daisy to the doctor to find out what was wrong with her but Martha swept in all under the carpet and told Florence it was her imagination or to just get on with it. That's when I began to dislike Martha.

David, Martha's husband is an artist who is famous for drawing cartoons of Daisy as a little girl and her dog. he is also called Southpaw which I found quite confusing at times. David had a traumatic childhood  and I enjoyed it when the story returned to his childhood,I wish that part had been longer.
There is a lot going on in this book but once I got to know the characters I enjoyed it.
Florence is a strange woman, highly intelligent but unable to form a healthy relationship. Daisy as I said is a horror and didn't seem to change as she aged. Bill is so easy going he's about to loose his wife,I could have given him a good shake. The only normal member of the family seems to be Lucy.
Martha reveals her secret at a dinner party which she tells all her family they have to attend. David is against this and doesn't want it revealed. As usual Martha does exactly what she wants with terrible consequences.
A local chef Jo Thorne becomes embroiled in the family. I liked him a lot he was a kind but misunderstood man. As in life people change and that's what has to happen to this family to move them forward.
I loved the epilogue it had me in tears.


A Place For Us ..Amazon for kindle £2.99






  



No comments:

Post a Comment