Saturday, 13 December 2014

I'll Take New York by Miranda Dickinson






When her boyfriend lets her down for the last time, Brooklyn bookshop owner Bea James makes a decision – no more. No more men, no more heartbreak, and no more pain.
Psychiatrist Jake Steinmann is making a new start too, leaving his broken marriage behind in San Francisco. From now on there'll just be one love in his life: New York.
At a party where they seem to be the only two singletons, Bea and Jake meet, and decide there’s just one thing for it. They will make a pact: no more relationships.
But the city has other plans . . .






This is the second book of Miranda's I have read but already I know what to expect, a good read with a happy ending.
Bea owns a bookshop with her friend Russ. It sounds like the ideal place to work and Bea loves it but her love life is not going so smoothly. After five years she finally tells boyfriend  Otis it's over after one too many let downs. She is sworn off relationships for good when she meets Jake at a party. He is going through a divorce and thinks the same way as Bea,so they make a pact to steer clear of relationships. They become close friends and spend their free time taking each other to places they love in New York.
Reading this book made me want to visit New York so much. I want to have coffee in Bea's bookstore, visit Kowalskis Flower shop and sit at the lake in Central Park.

Miranda writes with such conviction that all the sights,sounds and smells of New York came alive for me.
I loved the letters between Bea and her grandmother in England and the books sent by the book mice.
All through the book I knew what I wanted to happen for Bea but despaired at times that it was all going to go wrong. As I said I expect a happy ending and I got it. The characters have to go through the mill before they get their happy ever after but then that's what makes a good book.
I've read that some of the characters in this book are also in Fairytale in New York. I haven't read it yet but I will look forward to reading about them.
If you like reading Chic Lit you'll love this book.

amazon for kindle





3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a lovely relaxing read. I've never been to NY so maybe I can visit it vicariously through this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the only way I'll get to visit NY Val.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had a desire to visit New York but I can see that loving a book can make you long to travel there. This is why we went to Venice because we'd both enjoyed a book set there. This sounds like a lovely read.

    ReplyDelete