Monday, 24 November 2014

The Prophecy Of Bees by R.S. Pateman.



Moving to Stagcote Manor was meant to be a fresh start for Lindy and her teenage daughter Izzy. A chance at a new life in the country after things went so wrong in London. But for Izzy it is a prison sentence.


There's something about the house that she can't quite put her finger on. Something strange and unnerving. As Izzy begins to explore the manor and the village beyond its walls, she discovers the locals have a lot of bizarre superstitions and beliefs. Many of them related to the manor . . . and those who live there.


When Izzy begins to investigate the history of the estate, her unease deepens to fear as the house's chilling past finally comes to light.


The Prophecy of Bees is a tense, gripping psychological suspense novel that explores the dark power of superstition and folklore.





I read this book in one sitting during a short stay in hospital. I didn't know what to expect as I didn't read the blurb on the back of the book and the striking book cover gave none of the story away.
It starts off innocently enough (after the short prologue) with Isabella (Izzy) and her mother Lindy moving from London to the remote Stagcote Manor. Teenager Izzy has became rebellious after the death of her father and has been expelled from her school, found drinking alcohol and is dating a guy from a rock band.
Lindy has enrolled her as a day pupil at Cheltenham Ladies' College and Izzy is distraught.
Lindy has banned her daughter from using her phone or email address as she wants her to have nothing to do with any of her friends especially her boyfriend.

After they have moved into Stagcote Manor the story gets a bit darker. The village is steeped in superstition and Izzy becomes involved with the locals as they drop hints to her about what might have gone on before.
At last it seems like Izzy has found something she is interested in, researching the history of the manor and all who lived in it before.
I loved Izzy. She was bright and bubbly underneath all the teenage angst that she showed her mother. She also seemed to get on with everyone she met except for her mother.
I wasn't too keen on Lindy. I know she thought she was doing the best thing for her daughter but all she had to do was really listen to what Izzy had to say and realise that she missed her dad so much and locking her away in the middle of nowhere wasn't going to change anything.

This book had me at the edge of my seat just like in those films where the girl goes to the basement in the dark and you shout,"No!"
Each twist had me turning the page quicker. There were so many shocks in each chapter as the story reached the climax. Who could Izzy trust? Would her mother ever believe her findings?

I should have realised that as this is a R.S. Pateman book that the ending would be a surprise, and it was.
 I don't know if I agreed with it but it added to the chilling atmosphere of the book.
I must mention the bees as they are in the book title and spoken about all through the book,they brought their own superstitions with them and the villagers lives were controlled by that superstition.


R.S.Pateman.
 As with Rob's first book, The Second Life of Amy Archer which I reviewed  here  this one was very different from the usual books I read but I'm so glad I came out my comfort zone to read them both. Mr Pateman is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. Both his books would make great films.

The Prophecy of Bees would make a great stocking filler at Christmas time. for any avid reader.
There is only one thing left to say. If you're reading this Rob,when can we expect book number three?

The Prophecy of Bees from The Book Depository (free shipping worldwide)
                                           Amazon .uk (kindle)
                                            Amazon.com

Follow Rob on twitter here

Here is a trailer for the book.








2 comments:

  1. I have lost my taste for thrillers in recent years, but I could just be tempted by this, Anne. It sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read thrillers Val I'm such a wimp but this isn't like that its just slightly scary but gripping.

      Delete