Monday, 10 November 2014

Away From You by Kate Langdale





Heartbreaking new novel from the author of CHOOSE ME, about the sacrifices parents must make and the anguish that can befall them.


When Monica is offered a three-month placement in LA, she knows that for the sake of her career she must accept it - even though it means leaving behind nine-year-old Ruby, toddler Luca and her husband Daniel.


She hires Ursula as a housekeeper and nanny during her absence, although the older woman is oddly reluctant to agree to a childcare position. What is the dark secret in Ursula's past, which has left her so closed-off and reserved? Will her growing attachment to Ruby bring it to the surface? And will Monica regret leaving the children in her care?




This is the first book by Kate Langdale I've read but it won't be my last.
We begin the story by meeting the Watson family. Father and mother, Daniel and Monica and their two children Ruby 9yrs and Luca 18mths. Daniel,a surgeon is always busy with a demanding job. Monica is not quite satisfied with life  and when she receives a phone call from and old friend offering her 3mths work as assistant producer on a film that's about to be made in L.A she is over the moon and wonders if she could make it work for the family.

Daniel agrees it can be worked out they just need a housekeeper/nanny to do everything Monica would normally do.
After numerous interviews Monica chooses Ursula who has specifically stated to the employment agency that she does not want to with children but Monica talks her into it and she takes the job.

The next part of the story is about Ursula and the children. What is her secret? She seems to have no emotions,only speaks when spoken too and rushes off every night to her own house where she survives on the bare necessities.
Oh, I don't want to tell you too much and I also want to tell you the whole story. Ruby is wonderful, She has such insight into what Ursula needs and she misses her mum so much but doesn't say for fear of upsetting everyone. You will love her.
I didn't rate Monica too highly. I failed to understand how she could leave her children for a job, but I suppose everyone is different.
 As the layers of Ursula's life are gently peeled away it broke my heart and I couldn't put the book down, I had to find out what her secret was.

Kate Langdale's writing is like a breathe of fresh air. She writes sensitively in this book about grief and finding a reason to live through it. I was annoyed when I reached the last page and had to put it on the bookshelf.

I always tell the truth when I write a review. I do think the price of £8.96 for a kindle copy is quite steep and I wouldn't pay it I'd rather wait for the paperback version to hit the shops. I would love you to tell me in your comments if you would pay that price.The hardback book has 279 pages.

I received a copy of this book from the publishers in return for an honest review and for that and introducing me to a new author I thank them. 
Away From You on Amazon

4 comments:

  1. No Anne, I wouldn't pay so much for an e book. I really do appreciate the amount of work that goes into a book, but like you, I would rather wait until the paperback comes out. Lovely review. Book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good read Amanda and although I would pay that for a book I would never for a kind,e copy. I have found a couple of the American publications I have reviewed a similar price for a romance book .

      Delete
  2. A lovely review, Anne. I'm so sorry I haven't been here so much, but I am horribly busy right now. As to your question, no, I wouldn't pay that much either. My limit for e-books is $3,99, which I think is about GB2,50. If I want to spend that much, I will buy the paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Val. life takes over sometimes and I haven't been around much either. I would live to know how many books actually sell in kindle at that price. As I said in my comment to Amanda I reviewed a few American publications of romance books which were much the same price. If I pay that much I want a physical book.

    ReplyDelete