Monday, 28 April 2014

Carry You by Beth Thomas With a Guest Post by the Author




"For you mum. This is all for you" For anyone who has loved, lost or found it hard to let go, CARRY YOU will make you laugh, cry and celebrate your best friends. Perfect for fans of Marian Keyes and Jo Jo Moyes. Daisy has lost her mum to breast cancer. She's at rock bottom and doesn't think she'll ever get back up again. Her best friend Abi has other ideas - she tells it like it is and she's determined to make Daisy remember the person she used to be. What Daisy doesn't know is that, thanks to Abi, her life is about to take an unexpected turn, when she signs them up to do a charity walk. Added to which, someone is about to burst into Daisy's world in a riot of colour reminding her that life can be full of surprises.




We meet Daisy when she is hiding from the world, immersing herself in the films of Hugh Grant in between sleeping her life away. The death of her mum to breast cancer has hit her hard and more so because she has been alienated from her sister and step brothers in the most cruelest of ways. Daisy's one salvation is that she has a wonderful friend, Abi, who will stop at nothing to drag her friend from her half life back into the land of the living.
First there is the matter of getting Daisy up from the settee and cleaning the house as it is now for sale. Daisy has to leave her mum's house, find a job and a place to stay,she is incapable of doing any of it by herself.

Abi gives Daisy a place to stay and enrols both of them in the moonwalk in aid of breast cancer. As Abi works during the week she finds people to train with Daisy with some hilarious results. Will Daisy be fit enough to walk the marathon? Will she finally tell Abi her most guarded secret? And what will Abi think of her when she finds out?

It took me a while to like Daisy and her duck ring tone on her phone drove me mad even although I couldn't hear it. I thought Abi had the patience of a saint the way she looked after Daisy and constantly tried to encourage her to re-enter life.
Daisy has been very badly treated by her family and I wanted her to pursue things with them further than she did.

This is a story of what grief can do to you and how other people's opinions affect the grieving process.
The friendship between Daisy and Abi is amazing even although they haven't been friends for very long.
I found most of the story really funny, there are some great one liners. I particularly liked the Facebook statuses. It brings home to you what silly things people write on their Facebook wall. I loved the replies from someone named Georgia who always says,"Sorry to hear that hun" or "Love you babes!"

The real sadness in this book comes when everyone taking part in the moonwalk meet in Hyde park, each one dressed in pink, each one walking for a lost loved one,each one carrying a heavy burden as they walk in their bras during the darkness of the night.
Although the book started quite slowly I'm glad I stuck with it and I enjoyed it once it picked up pace. It did have a good ending especially the epilogue.

Carry You is now at a reduced price of 69p for kindle download and it's also out in paperback.
Amazon UK





I'd like to welcome The author Beth Thomas to, " Books With Wine and Chocolate" Beth is writing about the book that changed her life. Over to you Beth...


I’d love to be able to say that the book that changed my life was something serious and important like Crime and Punishment or The Bible or 1984. Or maybe something classic like Les Miserables or Jane Eyre. I’d even settle for Fifty Shades of Grey – at least that would make me sound exotic and interesting. But the truth is, I think the book that has had the biggest effect on me is The Animals of Farthing Wood, by Colin Dann. It’s a beautiful and well-loved children’s story about a group of animals who unite to leave their woodland home when their water supply is destroyed by building works. There’s a clever fox as the leader;  a wise but gruff old badger as his number one; and a series of smaller, less intelligent creatures including a toad, an adder, a mole and an owl, who form an unlikely alliance to make a mammoth trek across the country. It’s heart-warming, exciting, tear-jerking and very funny.
It was initially published in the early 1980s I think, and went on to be followed by a series of books featuring the adventures of the same animals, and eventually their offspring. The series has been reprinted and republished countless times since then, and made into a television programme that aired across Europe. It has been phenomenally successful, mostly because of the message about environmentalism that it promotes, an issue that is becoming more and more important on every country’s agenda. So in its own way, this charming series of children’s books has been, and still is, incredibly important.
But the most important thing about it, for me, is that it was written by my dad’s brother, my own lovely Uncle Colin. I’d always wanted to be a published author, and when Uncle Colin achieved that when I was a child, it spurred me on. Someone in my family had done it; maybe I could too! Suddenly my ambition didn’t seem like a pipe dream any more, but a real, distinct possibility. So I made up my mind right then that I would do it one day, and started working towards it. And sure enough, around thirty years later, here I am, lifelong ambition achieved. I’m a fair bit older than Uncle Colin was when he did it, but I’ve done it, and that makes me very happy.

Beth Thomas
April 2014

Thank you Beth. Wow! A famous uncle! I remember reading those stories to my children and I'm sure they were made into a film or a tv series. Thank you for joining us today.


































3 comments:

  1. Lovely Anne. Not one I have heard of but intrigued after your take on it

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete