Saturday, 5 April 2014

Beautiful Day by Kate Anthony




Today is the day that things are going to change for Rachel Bidewell.
She will walk through the doors of Clifton Avenue Care Home and start a new life.
Rachel is returning to work. And as she discovers, juggling a new job, three children and an ex husband can feel like drowning.
Someone needs to throw her a lifeline...
Philip doesn't seem like an obvious lifesaver. He has just lost the one person who ever cared for him and, even as an adult, he doesn't know how to live in the real world.
But might Philip and Rachel each have something the other needs?
This is a story of unexpected friendship; of the messy, muddy territory of those broken by life - and what it takes to fix them. It reminds us that the very darkest of days can be funny, heart-warming and even beautiful.




I thought this book was a lovely read starting from the eye catching cover that makes you want to pick it up.
This is a story of how hard it is when your husband leaves you for another woman. Rachel has to start again, working and caring for her three children one of whom is finding the split especially hard. She has to deal with loneliness and jealousy at the thought of her husband's girlfriend involving herself with Rachel's children.
Her job in the care home is a mixed bag, she enjoys it but she knows things are not being done in the best interest of the vulnerable residents and with the help of  fellow worker Rob they restore your faith in humanity.

Phillip arrives at the care home, he is an adult with special needs whose mother has just passed away. Phillip has been kept at home as a virtual prisoner since he was a baby and can now do nothing for himself. Rachel becomes his key worker and tries to open his mind to the world. Hateful manager of the home Denise tries to come between them causing pain and upset to them both.

The story is told from Rachel's point of view and I would have liked to have known part of the story from her ex husband Dom's view. I think both him and his new partner tried to to their best but the hurt he had caused by leaving his family was not easily healed.
Everything has a way of working itself out with a little give and take from both sides but not before some upsetting happenings and lots of tears.
As I said I liked Rachel all through the book until the point where she wrote a letter to her husband's new partner but as I found out there was a reason for that so I forgave her. You'll have to read the book to find out what I mean.
Published on 10th April
Amazon uk
Thank you to Real Readers for sending me a copy of this book.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a really good read, though I have been through similar myself. I was a divorced mother struggling to keep down a full-time job and bring up two children. That wasn't an easy time in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have empathy with the main character aros,it's a good read.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a challenging and interesting book, Anne! Isn't it funny how we want to like the main characters? I know I do and have often been put off really excellent books because I could not empathise with the main character. I'm glad you could forgive Rachel. This sounds as if it is a story with many layers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Val I've found books hard to read where I don't like the MC . Rachel did this one thing that I was taken aback by but then she redeemed herself,she was only human like us all.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much Anne for taking the time to read 'Beautiful Day' - publication day is Thursday and it calms my nerves to see such a thoughtful and considered review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Kate and thanks for taking time to comment. I loved the story and the artwork on the cover is so lovely.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete