Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Everybody's Got a Story by Heather Wardell




Both personally and professionally, Alexa knows all too well the power of words. Two years after her boyfriend Christophe's vicious attack, she's still trying to see herself as more than simply 'his victim', still trying to figure out her own story.

After his trial, she moves from New York City to Toronto in an attempt to start over, but his words cling to her and even in a new country she can't see how to move into relationships with the new people in her life while hiding the secret of Christophe's worst offence.

She can't hide that secret from her coworker Jake, though, because the news buff has recognised her from the coverage of the assault and trial and knows every word she can't bring herself to say about her ordeal.

With Jake's help, can Alexa reclaim her story and her life?




The beginning of the story finds us at the trial of Christophe who was Alexa's boyfriend. He is charged with a terrible attack against her which took place two years ago. Alexa is waiting for it all to be over to enable her to get on with the rest of her life but because all the facts of the case are now  being reported she has become the subject of unwanted media attention. The fact that she loved and trusted Christophe who she had been with for a few years makes it all so much harder to move on.

Her parents want her to come home but she feels she would be going backwards in her life. Alexa works as a book editor and Fred her lovely boss suggests she moves from New York to his branch in Toronto to start again. Alexa finds it hard to trust people and because of the permanency of the marks left behind by her attack she knows that if she is ever intimate again with any man she will have to tell him her story. It seems she will never be able to forget her past.
Editing a horrific crime book for author Michael may not be the best idea ever but it could be she has found a kindred soul in Michael and they can help each other.
 My heart really went out to Alexa especially when just as she was getting her life straight she had to deal with Carly at work who was a complete bitch to her. The lovely Jake made up for her and so did Stella the rescue kitten who Alexa takes into her home and it's so sweet as they learn to trust each other and other people together. I found myself cheering for Alexa when she stood up for herself and feeling her pain when she was once again hurt by cruel words.

When we hear of a court case on television we don't often think about where the victim goes from there or whether they want to even be called a victim. I think this book handles that question very well and I found it hard to put down. The first chapter about the court case was slightly disturbing but it was essential to know the horror of what Alexa went through and it certainly grabbed my attention.

I love finding an author I haven't read before and Heather  has written fourteen books which are all interlinked in some way as they are called The Toronto Series. The first one is free to download and you can find it here Life,Love and a Polar Bear Tattoo

I really enjoyed this book and  I'm looking forward to reading more by the author.

Everybody's Got a Story at Amazon UK
Amazon.com





6 comments:

  1. Ooh this sounds great, Anne! I think I'll be looking out for Heather Wardell when I have time to read a bit more and try out some new authors. I'm so glad I have my Kindle now as it means I can do that without committing, but this sounds like a series I would enjoy. Thank you as always for your comprehensive reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so many books to read Val and so little time to read them.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing Blog Anne. It's clear it's a labor of love and I see all the work you've put into each and every review, I wish I could say I'm a reader, I used to read like crazy.,Back in 2006 after the kids it lost it's magic for me. I do occasionally find a book that grabs me and I'll read it. That's not to say that I won't read each and every review you write. You know me I love you my friend. I especially love to read on the beach and vacation and am doing a girls week in the Florida keys in March. Any suggestions???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks Jen,I thought you knew I had this blog. I'm a bookaholic. I'll think of some books for you to read.

      Delete
  3. Court cases are devastating especially for ladies who have to fight the look after the home too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed they must be. Thanks for reading.

      Delete