Tuesday, 1 October 2013

How to Breed Sheep, Geese and English Eccentrics by Valerie Poore




When Maisie Peterson leaves university in 1976 without a job to go to, she decides to help her mother save her large and impractical country property in the wilds of rural Dorset by trying her hand at self-sufficiency. Ma is just a tad eccentric, though, and Maisie has no clue about farming. Her efforts are thwarted at quite a few turns by a flock of willful sheep, a dotty aunt, a charming but ineffective boyfriend and a swarthy, but highly desirably agricultural auctioneer. Emily, the ewe, runs rings round her while Ma drifts in and out of the scene in an ancient wedding dress, causing havoc in Maisie's attempts to sort out her personal as well as her agricultural problems.


 The book begins with Maisie's boyfriend Simon sawing her beloved Renault car in half when he was supposed to be fixing it for her. I didn't like Simon at first, he was lazy and seemed content with Maisie doing all the hard worked and him living off her for free,but as the story progressed he did grow on me and by the end of the book I liked him.

You will cry reading this book, with laughter. Maisie is trying to be self sufficient and save her mum's house and small holding from the bank but the only help she seems to have is her eccentric mother who is only a help in very short spurts and an elderly aunt who although very sweet is not capable of the kind of help Maisie needs. Help does come, in the shape of an old friend Jeanie who's parents own nearby riding stables. Jeanie manages to keep Maisie right about the do's and don'ts of life on a smallholding.
The laughs are plenty, from her mother walking about in an old wedding dress to Maisie transporting sheep in the back of her car.

Maisie's eyes stray to a handsome auctioneer but something always happens to make her look silly in front of him and she's determined to make him see that she knows what she's doing (she doesn't.)
So will Maisie leave the lazy Simon? Will she make the small holding profitable? and will she ever keep the sheep from wandering into other people's garden?
I loved the cover of this book it must have been drawn by someone with a great sense of humour. I am told by the author that although the story is fiction most of the incidents regarding the animals are true and happened to her which just makes the book a whole lot better.

I think it's harder to write a book that makes people laugh, it's easier to make them cry. Valerie Poore will make you laugh. Another part of the book I really enjoyed was Maisie's acceptance of her mother's eccentricity and the mother and daughter love.
Amazon uk
Amazon.com
It's a long time since I laughed so much at a book so I'm giving  How to Breed Sheep and English Eccentrics five stars.




16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, thank you Anne! Now you've made me cry…soppy thing that I am! I'm so glad you enjoyed my eccentrics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked my review Val.It's all true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! I am shamelessly sharing it all over the show. Big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review ...... and blog :-) I have this book and am now looking forward to reading it more than ever. Val certainly has a wonderful way with words :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary. I'm sure you'll enjoy the book.

      Delete
  5. She's good at reviewing, as at everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's good at reviewing, as at everything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Carol! My eccentrics are very grateful to be featured here :)

      Delete
  7. Great review. I agree. It's so hard to make people laugh. Well done to you both :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros ,yes it is hard to be funny,it's a gift.

      Delete
  8. Great review - Anne. (And, if course, a wonderful book!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just to say I really appreciate the support you've all given me, and Anne's review is like winning a prize!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw Anne, great review. This sounds like a cracking read, I had never heard of this author. I definitely need a rib tickler, when I actually get proper free time.

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this book! A wonderful, well-deserved review!

    ReplyDelete