Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Some Day I'll Find You by Richard Madeley


James Blackwell is sexy and handsome and a fighter pilot - every girl's dream partner. At least that is what Diana Arnold thinks when her brother first introduces them. Before long they are in love and marry hastily just as war is declared.
Then fate delivers what is the first of its cruel twists: James, the day of their wedding, is shot down over Northern France and killed. Diana is left not only a widow but pregnant with their child.
Ten years later, contentedly remarried, Diana finds herself in the south of France, sitting one morning in a sunny village square. A taxi draws up and she hears the voice of a man speaking English - the unmistakable voice of someone who will set out to torment her and blackmail her and from whom there can be only one means of escape...


I was sent a copy of this book by Sharon from Jera's Jamboree as her to be read pile was too big and she knew I wanted to read it, thanks Sharon.
I have a bit of a soft spot for Richard Madeley, ssh don't tell anyone. I read his first book, Fathers and Sons which is the true story of his father and grandfather and it's a truly heartbreaking one. It is a few years since I read it but I'm sure it was written like a fiction story and not a biography, it's well worth a read.

Back to Some Day I'll find You. I have no idea what the title had to do with the story as no one was that desperate to find anyone. Diana thought her husband was dead and got on with her life and remarried.
 James didn't want to find Diana as he was quite happy as he was. The first chapter was so full of unnecessary commas it was distracting but he didn't overuse them after chapter one.
There is a confusing part of the book at the beginning when the Arnold family all use different first names from the ones they were given but once you are told that they never use their old names again,strange. Whoever edited the book didn't pick up on the author actually using the wrong names himself a few times, it seems even he was confused.
The chapters are short and I did get through this book quickly. Most of the story is setting the scene for the action part which starts about three quarters through the book. The book then moves on at a faster pace.
I did enjoy the story and I couldn't put it down towards the end. the only niggle I had was James, in the first part of the book we find out he's a cad,a bounder and a bad egg but nothing prepared me for what he turned out like after the war and I think it was slightly unbelievable but then I suppose war does funny things to people. I don't want to give any more of the book away as I think Richard has done that in his various interviews.
To sum it up a good quick read but not as good as Fathers and Sons but I wait in anticipation for Richard's next book.
If you read it I'd love to know what you thought.
Amazon.co.uk
Amazon.com
I give Some Day I'll Find You three stars




8 comments:

  1. Anne, this is interesting. People often complain that self-published books are not well edited, but I have noticed increasingly that professionally edited books have just as many mistakes. Do you think it's because everything is done digitally now? This book sounds as if it might have been quickly written and edited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val,I know this book wasn't quickly written as the author is on my twitter feed and was always tweeting about his book. I don't know if you know him but he's a well known face on British TV and used to host a morning show with his wife. He now has Richards and Judy'dps Book club online and the books they choose usually end up being best sellers with their endorsement . On saying all that you would imagine he would have had the best editors around but many reviews on Amazon have said the same as me,sloppy editing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book definitely went to a good home Anne!

    Glad you enjoyed the story.

    Shaz

    ps like the new look blog design

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing puts me off a book faster than sloppy editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. There's really no need for it.

      Delete
  5. I'm not good at persevering with books that have a slow or poorly edited first chapter so I'm not sure if this book is for me. I too like Richard Madeley but I suspect he's not the perfect husband to Judy - I could be wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first chapter's not slow it just has far too many commas. Read it on Amazon and you'll see.
    Oh I'm intrigued at what you're saying about Richard I'll have to email you.

    ReplyDelete