Tuesday, 5 March 2013

A Stitch In Time by Amanda James

The blurb (from Amazon)
 A stitch in time saves nine …or does it?
Sarah Yates is a thirty-something history teacher, divorced, disillusioned and desperate to have more excitement in her life. Making all her dreams come true seems about as likely as climbing Everest in stilettos.

Then one evening the doorbell rings and the handsome and mysterious John Needler brings more excitement than Sarah could ever have imagined. John wants Sarah to go back in time …

Sarah is whisked from the Sheffield Blitz to the suffragette movement in London to the Old American West, trying to make sure people find their happy endings. The only question is, will she ever be able to find hers?

Did I like it? 
The first book I reviewed on this blog was Amanda's first book, Righteous Exposure here 
When I heard her new book was out on kindle before the release of the paperback I just had to have it.
The only book I've read about time travel is The Time Traveller's Wife and I didn't finish it, I really will have to try again. But having been drawn to A Stitch in Time's the front cover I somehow just knew it was going to be a good read.
 I finished it in a day and at the end it left me wanting to know more about Sarah and John. The book did end well, as you know sometimes I'm a bit disappointed with endings, not with this one but I do want a sequel.
 It is very different from Amanda's first book and this shows what a good storyteller she is.
I fell a little in love with John, he was so funny and handsome and caring. Sarah had been dealt a bad hand romantically and I wanted everything to work out for her.
Amanda's explanation of why Sarah has to go back in time was believable and very clever and so is John's part in it. The stories of who Sarah had to help in  Sheffield during the blitz, the time of the suffragettes and American wild west are sewn together so well, we empathise with the characters and I was so glad that when Sarah returned to present day she and therefore we were given an update on those lives she changed.
Some parts had me laughing out loud especially when Sarah, while in 1913 rebels against the way women are treated as second class citizens she tells the upper class just what she thinks of them.
I don't want to give any more away, I can't recommend this book enough, read with wine and chocolate of course.
A Stitch in Time deserves more than ***** 
Published by Choc Lit For kindle now  on Amazon here 
Paperback published on  7th April pre order it here       

No comments:

Post a Comment