Thursday, 14 February 2013

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn




WHAT'S IT ABOUT? (From Amazon)
 'What are you thinking, Amy?' The question I've asked most often during our marriage, if not out loud, if not to the person who could answer. I suppose these questions stormcloud over every marriage: 'What are you thinking? How are you feeling? Who are you? What have we done to each other? What will we do?' Just how well can you ever know the person you love? This is the question that Nick Dunne must ask himself on the morning of his fifth wedding anniversary when his wife Amy suddenly disappears. The police immediately suspect Nick. Amy's friends reveal that she was afraid of him, that she kept secrets from him. He swears it isn't true. A police examination of his computer shows strange searches. He says they aren't his. And then there are the persistent calls on his mobile phone. So what really did happen to Nick's beautiful wife? And what was in that half-wrapped box left so casually on their marital bed? In this novel, marriage truly is the art of war...

DID I LIKE IT?
This is not my usual type of read. I received this book from Gransnet website as it is their book club book this month. I liked the sound of the book and looked forward to starting it.
 It was really hard reading the first half of this book and if it wasn't for a stay in hospital I think I would have given up but as I had nothing else to do I kept going.
First we hear part of Nick's story then we read Amy's diary, so far so good but it is all just very boring and there are no characters that are likeable. I am used to reading books that jump back and forward to different eras or from different characters point of view so that wasn't my problem and I just can't put my finger on why I found this first half boring except to say that many people on the Gransnet book club forum have said the same thing. The author will be answering questions on the forum at the end of the month and I cant wait to read her answers.

Starting round about the second half of the book it picks up pace and we start to really get into the story, and my, what a story, what complicated lives some people lead. I couldn't put the book down I was so desperate to get to the conclusion.
The end! Yes, that is what happened, the author became bored or tried to be too clever and didn't give her readers a decent ending. I was quite upset about this but I expect some stories just do not have an ending.
This is the first book I have read by American author Gillian Flynn although it is her third published book. I would say it's a psychological thriller or at least part of it is. Her other two books seem to be alone the same lines.

Do I recommend this book? Well, I did pass mine on to my daughter to see what she thought of it, but she has still to get back to me. Yes it's worth reading for the second half but you will be annoyed at the ending. I give this *** for the second half.

No comments:

Post a Comment